Thursday 23 January 2014

Introduction to Twitter

Julie Briggs, Chair of Western Riverina Arts, shares her experience with 'micro-blogging' website Twitter:

If you’re blogging about your art then Twitter could be a great way to promote your blog.

I use Twitter and although I’m not blogging at the moment, I am reading the blogs of others. My interests are arts, politics, human rights and environment.

I’m a Twitter fan now because the people who I connect with take me to great places. I can cut through the dross and get straight to the best opinion pieces in major media outlets from around the world. I can read the blogs associated with literary journals like Meanjin or Overland, but most relevant to you as an artist, I can read the blogs of artists and writers I meet on Twitter.

So choose your fellow 'Tweetravellers' along the lines of your broader interests. This will put you in touch with their followers as well. It’s not a stretch that these are the people who are most likely to read about your genre of art, ergo your blog.

Do make promotion the least of the things you do on Twitter. Contribute to discussions, share sites, and blogs and items from other platforms with your followers. Don’t push your blog but do tweet a link to your latest just published post. And pay others the compliment of checking out their blogs.

Follow Julie on Twitter @Swanlyric

No comments:

Post a Comment